22 Songs | Approximately 38 Minutes
Disclosure
Many thanks to Wander Creative for providing a sample of the product for this review. Opinions are 100% my own.
About
My Thoughts
I expected The Dead Sea Squirrels: Season 1 (Original Soundtrack) to be cute and quirky.
I did not expect to love it this much.
The soundtrack features all 22 songs from Season 1 of The Dead Sea Squirrels, the animated series. The approximately 38-minute soundtrack accompanies a season that takes children through biblical lessons including kindness, honesty, mercy, self-control, trusting God and overcoming worry, as well as the birth, baptism, ministry, Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus.
I know that sounds like a lot to pack into 38 minutes, but somehow, they do it.
And they have a whole lot of fun along the way.
You Really Don't Know What's Coming Next
One of the first things I noticed was that the titles don't necessarily give you a clue about what you're about to hear. Then the music starts and you're like, ok...I know that story.
I'm a music lover so when I realized the soundtrack moves through rock, country, gospel, children's music, theatrical numbers, VBS-style music and even a little banjo twang. I was really happy, not about the banjo twang. Lol.
Some songs have the big, theatrical, story-driven sound that immediately made me think of a Sight & Sound production.
Other songs rock. And I mean rock!
Matthew West and Mac Powell bring that sound to “The Water's Fine (But You're Not),” while Steve Taylor brings a quirkier style of rock to other parts of the soundtrack.
Then there are songs like “Do Unto Others,” which starts with a banjo/VBS-style feel before opening into that fuller Sight & Sound-style theatrical sound.
“We're Thessalonians” changes things again with a faint island-inspired beat that falls somewhere in the calypso/reggae neighborhood.
Normally that much genre-hopping could make an album feel scattered.
Here, it doesn't. It's music lover heaven!
The music is doing storytelling work.
The sound changes to fit the scene, emotion or biblical lesson rather than changing simply for the sake of variety.
Then Came “Celebrate Your Face”
I didn't know what to expect from a song called “Celebrate Your Face.”
I certainly didn't expect it to become my favorite song on the album.
It begins with the feel of a CeCe Winans-style gospel ballad, with an adult lead and children's choir, and sounds almost like a sincere love song to the face God gave you.
It's warm. It's beautiful. And beneath that quirky title is a message about appreciating how God created you.
The only problem?
It ended way too soon.
I wanted more.
And that's how “Celebrate Your Face” worked its way right into my #1 spot.
Fun Songs. Serious Truth.
That may be what impressed me most about this soundtrack.
The music is fun enough for children, but they aren't avoiding substantial biblical themes just because their audience is young.
Children encounter themes including the Fruit of the Spirit, self-control, being made in God's image, Jesus' birth, His baptism, the Kingdom of God, the Crucifixion and the Resurrection. The series itself uses each episode to connect biblical lessons with the characters' everyday situations.
And I know from experience that music helps us memorize.
A child may not remember every explanation they've heard about a biblical truth.
Put that truth into a catchy song they sing over and over?
Now it has a way of sticking.
The songs aren't simply teaching facts, either. They're bringing children into the biblical story.
The Music Follows the Story
“The Water's Fine (But You're Not)” is a great example.
Matthew West and Mac Powell give the song a rock sound, but then the story segues into the baptism of Jesus and God's declaration that Jesus is His beloved Son.
Then “Kingdom of God,” led by Matthew West, moves back into that big Sight & Sound-style theatrical territory.
And when the story reaches the Crucifixion in “Here He Comes,” the music takes on a darker theatrical-rock edge.
It fits.
That's important because they're dealing with one of the most serious moments in Scripture without suddenly abandoning the musical language they've established for children.
Then comes the Resurrection.
“He's Alive”
This one got me.
“He's Alive” features Bart Millard, Katy Nichole and Matthew West.
It moves into the Resurrection through Mary's grief and her search for Jesus before opening into the realization and celebration:
He's alive.
The simplicity of the storytelling works.
Children can understand the sadness of looking for someone you love and the joy of discovering that Jesus is alive.
That became my third favorite song on the album.
And My Other Favorite...
“Time to Get Counted.”
This one begins within the story surrounding the census and then moves into a medley incorporating familiar Christmas music.
I love medleys anyway, so they already had me.
But I especially loved how the song moved from upbeat, playful, kiddie fun into a sweet, soft celebration of Christ's birth.
The transition was beautifully done.
My Top 3
After listening through the soundtrack twice, my favorites are:
1. “Celebrate Your Face”
2. “Time to Get Counted”
3. “He's Alive”
And yes, I realize my #1 choice may be showing my grown-up side.
I'm okay with that.
This Isn't Just for the Kids
Here's one of the biggest compliments I can give this soundtrack:
I'll be listening to it for myself on Spotify and I'll send the CD to my grandson.
This is perfect music for kids in the car, but it's also something Mom can put on while she's cleaning the house and actually enjoy.
That's not always the case with children's music.
Sometimes adults are very aware that they're listening to something for the children.
This didn't feel that way to me.
The soundtrack includes an impressive lineup of Christian performers, including Matthew West, Bart Millard of MercyMe, Katy Nichole, Ellie Holcomb, Mac Powell of Third Day, Steve Taylor, Ashley Cleveland, Matthew Ward and others.
Those different voices and musical styles give the soundtrack enough variety to keep adults engaged while the humor, memorable lyrics and characters keep it accessible to children.
Even when a particular musical style wasn't necessarily my favorite—and yes, I'm looking at a couple of those banjos—the album as a whole won me over.
Final Thoughts
The Dead Sea Squirrels: Season 1 (Original Soundtrack) is cute and quirky, but there's much more happening here than cute children's music.
The songs are funny and catchy without treating biblical truth like an afterthought.
The genre changes serve the storytelling.
The lyrics break down substantial biblical ideas to a child's level.
And the music is memorable enough that those truths have a good chance of staying with them after the song ends.
The creators describe the soundtrack as a screen-free way for families to carry the lessons of the series into car rides, school drop-off, playtime, family time and church settings.
I'd add one more:
Cleaning the house.
Because the children don't have to be around for parents to play this one.
I absolutely loved it.
Watch
Where to Listen or Buy
The Dead Sea Squirrels: Season 1 (Original Soundtrack) is available on major streaming platforms, including Apple Music and Spotify, and is also available as a physical CD through the Dead Sea Squirrels shop. The album is currently featured on Apple Music Kids' Sunday School Kids playlist and Spotify's Christian & Gospel Kids playlist.
Connect
Facebook: https://facebook.com/thedeadseasquirrelsofficial
Instagram: https://instagram.com/thedeadseasquirrels
TikTok: https://tiktok.com/@thedeadseasquirrels
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thedeadseasquirrelsminno
#DeadSeaSoundtrackMIN #DeadSeaSquirrels #DeadSeaSquirrelsSoundtrack


إرسال تعليق