Q&A With Sherry Gloag

BookZone had the recent opportunity to sit down with author, Sherry Gloag to discuss the art of writing, her aspirations, lessons learned and her recent works. The following is the delightful result:



BookZone: Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

There was no blinding flash of light. Off and on throughout my life I’d tinker with writing. I made a serious effort once while still at school. It was confiscated by my English teacher! I never saw it again! Lol. It wasn’t until the mid nineties that I really began writing again. And again, life got in the way for a while. In the mid 2000s I settled down and things began to happen for me. The Wild Rose press published my first book, The Brat, in October 2010.

BookZone: What inspired you to write your first book?

My first book is not the one that was my first published book.   I briefly mentioned it a moment ago. It never got as far as being given a name.  But it was a name that inspired me to write the story.  Matthew Manning.  It jumped out at me, a name I’d never heard before and with the name came the story. I could hardly keep up with the plot and scenes that were finding their way onto the pages.  No- don’t ask me :) I can’t remember what the story was about, but I do remember the feelings as it developed.

BookZone: Please tell us in one sentence only, why we should read your book.

Because I write romances you will remember.

BookZone: Why this subject matter…why now?

Romance has always captured my attention. As I child I raided my mother’s bookshelves and discovered Georgette Heyer. Later I discovered many more wonderful Regency romance authors. I also read contemporary romance, so I suppose it was no surprise that that’s where my heart lies when writing.

BookZone: I believe that every author infuses his or her book(s) with a piece of himself or herself. What piece of you would you say resides within the pages of your book?

I’d like to say ‘nothing’, but I think my desire to be strong. Most of my heroines are strong women. That may not be quite the answer you wanted J but it’s the closest I can get, because my characters never cease to amaze me, they bear little to no relation to me at all.

BookZone: If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in this book?

During, and immediately after writing a book, I am usually in a love/hate relationship with my books.  Occasionally I’ve been lucky and loved every second of the writing. With Vidal’s Honor, I wanted to chuck it away on several occasions, but couldn’t as I’d been asked to write a Christmas Regency romance, and I boxed myself in, time-wise, by having several false starts.

BookZone: What did you learn about yourself while writing this book?

Quite a bit :) because I boxed myself in–as mentioned a moment ago- I really wasn’t sure I could meet the deadline. I learned that I could, and with days to spare. I learned to ‘get over myself’ and knuckle down and let the characters have their head. I also learned that I could face another fear related with writing this novel and overcome it, but it cost me emotionally.

BookZone: How did you come up with the title?

My hero, the Marquiss of Vidal, provided the title Vidal’s Honor.  Honor is my heroine.

BookZone: Who designed the cover?

A very talented artist, Elaina Lee, who provides many of the book covers for my publisher Astraea Press.

BookZone: How did you celebrate the sale of your first book?

We went out for a meal.

BookZone: What would equate success for you, with regards to the release of this title?

  • Purchases
  • Kudos on your writing skills
  • Message received by intended audience
  • All of the above
All of the above!

BookZone: What did you want to be when you grew up…was author on the list?

Not even on the horizon.

BookZone: Any other books in the works? Goals for future projects?

I am working on a sequel to Vidal’s Honor. Not something I considered while writing the book, but two of the secondary characters wouldn’t let me alone ‘till I started working on their story. I am also still working on the Twins’ stories in the Gasquet princes series.  They are being very difficult.

BookZone: LOL. What piece of advice would you give to first time authors?

Believe in yourself, keep writing regardless of any setbacks and make friends in the writing world. It’s an awesome community. And always be appreciative to and about your readers.

BookZone: Is there any piece of advice you would like to ask from any of our veteran authors who may stop by?

LOL.  This is where my mind blanks out because there are so many questions

BookZone: What book are you reading now?

I finished Kay Springsteen’s The Toymaker, last night. I keep dipping into Heidi Ruby Miller’s Many Genres One Craft; Lessons in Writing Popular Fiction.

BookZone: If you were stranded on a desert island what 3 things would you want with you?

The ability to astral travel off it! Failing that, courage to learn to survive and a mountain of books.

BookZone: Favorite Candy?

Chocolate covered shortcake squares.

BookZone: Favorite smell?

Elizabeth of Glamis Rose.

BookZone: Favorite scripture/quote?

“Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.”

BookZone: Pet peeve?

Drivers who pull out in front of you, stop and wait for oncoming traffic before turning off the road again within seconds.

BookZone: Me too! Argggh! Guilty Pleasure?

I have a sweet tooth.

BookZone: Only one? I think I have several of them…lol. TV or Movies?

Not bothered about either. Much prefer to create my own images while reading a book.

BookZone: My pastor would love you! Lol! Coke or Pepsi?

Heads for cover – neither.

BookZone: No need to hide…freedom of speech blog here…lol. What book(s) has most influenced your life?

All of Georgette Heyer’s books + many others too numerous to name.

BookZone: Really? I found that I had to stop reading her books. Seemed that she had a ghostwriter towards the end. How do you react to a bad review?

Philosophically.  You can’t please everyone all of the time. If the reviewer is (and you do get them) malicious, I ignore them. All that said it’s still upsetting when I first read them.

BookZone: Well said! You have won one million dollars what is the first thing that you would buy?

 A new car!

BookZone: Do you have a specific writing style?

I don’t think so. It appears to depend on the characters that turn up and the story they want to share.

BookZone: Which authors have influenced you most and how?

Too many to mention.

BookZone: Do you see writing as a career?

It is a major part of my life right now, but career? Not yet.

BookZone: Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?

Sadly, I’m not in a position to do much travelling at all, and so either make full use of the net, as far as I can, or use the phone to talk to people who have the answers I’m seeking. I’m always awed by the time and patience people have when explaining stuff to/for you.

BookZone: That is the beauty of the Internet. What’s the best advice anyone has ever given you?

Be yourself.  I just keep forgetting and try to please others.

BookZone: What’s your favorite season/weather?

I like them all.  The months I like least are from February to April.

BookZone: What do you do in your free time?

I love to garden and I enjoy working with crystals creating jewelry and other gift items.

BookZone: If you had to choose, which author would you consider a mentor?

Georgette Heyer has had a great influence on my reading, and now writing life, and Norah Roberts is an author I’ve followed since her first book was published.

BookZone: Are there any new authors that have caught your interest?

Kay Springsteen, although not exactly ‘new’ she is a wonderful and prolific writer. I have just finished her Christmas regency The Toymaker, and felt I’d lost a bunch of dear friends when I finished it.

BookZone: Do you prefer a bunch of small gifts or one big expensive one?

Lots of small ones.

BookZone: Do you have anything specific that you wish to say to your readers?

To those who have bought my books, ‘Thank you.’  To those who do in the future, I hope you enjoy them.  To all my readers where ever and when ever, ‘Thank you for being a part of my life, and I really love hearing from you all.”

Thank you Dee for this lovely opportunity.

BookZone: It has certainly been my pleasure Sherry!

So there you have it folks! Now here are two of Sherry’s latest works:

Title: Vidal’s Honor
Author: Sherry Gloag
Publisher: Astraea Press
Release Date: October 31, 2012
ASIN: B009ZUXCOC
Version: Kindle
List Price: $0.99       
Title: No Job for a Woman
Author: Sherry Gloag
Publisher: Secret Cravings Publishing
Release Date: August 31, 2012
ASIN: B0095II45G
Version: Kindle
List Price: $5.99




Sherry Gloag lives in the beautiful East Anglian countryside in the UK after spending her childhood in Scotland followed by many years in the Midland of England. Although she’s written over the years, in 2006 life made time for her to indulge her passion for writing and for her characters to let loose with their new found freedom. Her debut novel, The Brat, deals with love in all it’s aspects, and how her characters grow from their experiences. Her second novel Duty Calls, deals with the consquences of her heroine living with selective amnesia, especially when her daughter’s father re-enters her life. The Wrong Target take a ‘tongue-in-cheek’ look at Cupid’s victims when his arrow hits The Wrong Target. Sherry is blessed to have The Wrong target included in eTreasure Valentine anthology of 2010 and shares space with a host of awesome authors. As of January 2012 she is eagerly awaiting the release details of her latest novella, His Chosen Bride,the second in a four book series about the Gasquet Princes, also published by Atsraea Press. For more details visit her website at http://www.sherrygloag.com.

No comments